We’re located in the historic Park Shelton building in Midtown Detroit. We offer complimentary, secure parking in the attached garage with direct access to the building… you don’t even need to get wet in the rain!
Originally built as The Wardell, the building was designed by Detroit architects Weston & Ellington and built by Bryant and Detwiler in 1926 as a residential hotel, intended for extended stays. Architectural sculpture for the building was created by Corrado Parducci. The name comes from Fred Wardell, who owned the Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Company. Diego Rivera lived there while working on his mural at the Detroit Institute of Arts.
The Wardell was bought by Sheraton in the 1940s and became the Wardell-Sheraton, and later the Detroit-Sheraton. It was finally renamed The Park Shelton Hotel in the 1950s, offering luxurious accommodations, but set up as a more traditional hotel. It was the Detroit hotel of choice for such celebrities as Bob Hope, George Burns, Gracie Allen, and Raymond Burr. In the 1970s, the Park Shelton Hotel was converted to apartments.
In the 2004, the Park Shelton was redeveloped into condominiums, creating 227 luxury units in the building. The newly refurbished building was opened in August 2004.
A Few of Our Neighbors